Sports medicine is non-surgical orthopedics for all ages, which treats injuries resulting from athletic or daily activities. It's not just for competitive athletes! Sports Medicine physicians are ideal for anyone who wishes to become active or begin an exercise program, or for the "weekend warriors" who experience the occasional injury. We on physical fitness and the treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports, exercise and daily activities.
If you have an orthopedic injury which does not require surgery and you want to maximize your function while minimizing the restrictions your injury is causing you, our Sports Medicine Specialists, Dr. Brian Shafer and Dr. Emily Campbell, can work with you to get you back to your best without surgery. They will work with our team of physical therapists, athletic trainers and surgeons to develop a care program specific to your individualized needs.
We have specialized training in:
- Acute injuries (such as ankle sprains, knee and shoulder injuries, fractures and muscle sprains)
- Overuse injuries (such as rotator cuff and other forms of tendonitis, stress fractures)
- Medical and injection therapies for osteoarthritis
- Concussion (mild traumatic brain injury) and other head injuries
- Athletes with chronic or acute illness (such as infectious mononucleosis, asthma or diabetes)
- Nutrition, supplements, ergogenic aids and performance issues
- Exercise prescription for patients who want to increase their fitness
- Injury Prevention
- "Return to play" decisions in the sick or injured athletes
- Recommendations on safe strength training and conditioning exercises
- Healthy lifestyle promotion